Thursday, July 21, 2011

Epiphany in supermarket


Living in a diverse city like Toronto is quite a new experience for me. A valuable experience and I really like it. I like the way people talk with different and sometimes weird accents, but everybody understands. I like it when you are in a streetcar; you hear at least five languages at a time. And when it comes to food, you have access to nearly all the cuisines of the world.
When I first came here, I thought there are no sour cherries in Toronto. But that was because our nearest supermarket, in this case -Loblaw’s- didn’t have any. Then I figured out, you just have to know where to look. I even found fava beans.
After a while, finding a new place for groceries shopping became one of our hobbies. We went discovering new foods in new neighborhoods. In one of our expeditions, we came by a Pakistani supermarket, which had halal food. The place was huge and had everything. You could find a variety of spices like nowhere else. Meats with every cut you’d like and fresh vegetables. As I was walking down the isles and looking at different cans and bottles with ugly packaging and no information on them, I had an epiphany. I said to myself, this is probably what Middle East looks like. The place can offer you everything, and sometimes more than those fancy supermarkets across the GTA, but there is no order or discipline to it. They don’t care about the appearances and customer services. Because there are more than enough people to buy their goods and there is even no need for competition or advertisement. And if anyone from the outside look at it, they probably think, what on earth these people are eating? Strange bottles and dirty canes, Meat cuts in grocery plastic wraps. But what they don’t know is, by looking down their nose at such place, they may miss the most delicious tastes of their life.
I remember our first days here and our excitements when we entered a supermarket. We were astonished by the arrangements and orders and beautiful packaging and I felt dizzy sometimes, because I couldn’t decide what pasta should I choose for dinner? I had endless options, while back home I knew the only brand that worked among those three or four. But after shopping, always came the disappointment. Despite the fancy package, the taste was not what we’ve expected and we had to throw it away. Maybe we didn’t get used to the taste yet or we didn’t know how to cook it to make the most of it. This is probably our life here for a while. We are excited and bedazzled by the options we have, but sometime we find them strange to our taste and it will take us a while to figure out how to cook it for the best results.

2 comments:

  1. the same situation here,I'm trying all kind of foods here and figuring out how unique,weird and new their tastes are. each day, a new food! and I miss gheyme and ghorme sabzi. just my mom's. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you. I can now make ghormeh-sabzi and gheimeh, but doesn't taste like mom's cooking at all .

    ReplyDelete