Friday, November 5, 2010

The Diary Of Terracotta Army Exhibition




Me and my friend are so excited about Terracotta army being exhibited in Toronto and decided to go downtown to see it. Here is a summery of the events which happened that day.

As you may want to know , The Terracotta Army was discovered in the spring of 1974 in the eastern suburbs of Xi'an, Shaanxi Province by a group of farmers who were digging a water well.
The figures vary in height 1.83–1.95 metres (6.0–6.4 ft), according to their roles, with the tallest being the generals. The figures include warriors,chariots, horses, officials, acrobats, strongmen, and musicians. Current estimates are that in the three pits containing the Terracotta Army there were over 8,000 soldiers, 130 chariots with 520 horses and 150 cavalry horses, the majority of which are still buried in the pits.*


9 a.m. having a fast breakfast, today is the day! hurrrraa

9:30 a.m. Should go for a quick grocery shopping and come back to get ready.

10 a.m. can't find a parking lot.

10:30 a.m. why everyone suddenly decided they ran out of bread and lettuce?

11:30 a.m. still in the grocery store, can't believe I'm wandering between the isles for rice flour.

noon. can't find the damn crushed tomato.

12:30 p.m. where are those salted pickles? God I'm going crazy.

1:30 p.m. in line for cashier at last!

2:00 p.m. I'm hungry and dizzy. going home.

2:45 p.m. arranging the groceries .

3:00 p.m. God! It's getting late , should meet my friend at sheppard station in half an hour. It gets half an hour to get there if I'm at the subway now!

3:05 p.m. I'm hungry and dizzy.

3:10 p.m. decided to put a pizza in the oven for 10 minutes and get ready.

3:25 p.m. The pizza is black! I don't know why?! anyway it's to late to eat, better run.

3:50 p.m. finding my friend waiting for me in the station at last, just 20 minutes late, not that bad!

4:00 p.m. having a great time laughing and talking in Persian with my friend in a crowded cabin. can talk about almost anything when you think no one understands your language.

4:35 p.m. stop at the station. A very nice lady who's been smiling all the way at us, stands up and while leaving she says: " I wish you will be this happy for the rest of your life"- IN PERSIAN! - which makes us speechless for a moment and thank her good heart then!

5:00 p.m. at the ROM museum entrance. suddenly we both realize that we didn't bring any camera with us. What a disaster! this could be an experience of a lifetime.

5:10 p.m. finally we get calm by seeing the sign of no camera at the door. huh!

5:20 p.m. can't believe the price of tickets! we would only wanted to see the Terracotta but we should pay for the whole ROM ticket as well. what a strange way to collect money from poor visitors for the museum. can't believe the government is this careless about the museum and art galleries.

5:35 p.m. breathless and excited we reach the exhibition at last!

5:40 p.m. WHAT? this was the whole exhibition????

5:45 p.m. decided not to panic and instead of expecting to see the whole army ( what was I thinking?) just look at these 5 figures very closely.

6 p.m. read the entire information on the wall and try to listen to that weird Chinese man explaining things in a dramatic way. though the music and the crowd won't let you hear clear enough.

6:15 p.m. after walking around for the fifth time , decided to go the gift shop. maybe we haven't lost everything yet! although there is a glimpse of smart thought of projecting the whole scene of the terracotta army on the wall. but its installed so high in the ceiling that it doesn't give you a slightest sense of discovering a huge treasure. It would be better if they projected it on the floor and you could watch it nearer to it's original position.

6:30 p.m. heading to gift shop. The idea of terracotta warriors as an small decorative sculpture makes our spirit.

6:45 p.m. My friend wants to see the rest of the museum very quick as we paid for it. huh! quick! we'll see.

7:30 p.m. can't see anymore. suddenly feel very dizzy and can't stand up straight. I'm must be hungry or thirsty! I just sit down. Everyone passes by with a hidden smile on their faces. Haven't seen a tired person in their life? what? I look up and see I'm about to be eaten by a giant dinosaur skeleton. his mouth over my head as if I'm in a Spielberg movie or something. not funny at all.

7:40 p.m. my friend can't find anything to drink , so we're heading out.

7:45 p.m. can't find the exit door. Oh gosh , please help me. I'm fainting.

7:50 p.m. stuck at an emergency exit door. can't go out or get in. maybe visiting a museum is not a good idea at all. You could always watch a documentary on TV.

7:55 p.m. A nice guy notices us stuck in there and opens the door. we thank him embarrassed and red faced.

8:00 p.m. decided to concentrate and read the signs carefully and find someone to ask the direction.

8:05 p.m. no one is around when you need them.

8:10 p.m. Out at last! huraaaaaaaaaaaa.

8:15 p.m. recovered in spirit , walking towards the closest coffee house. laughing at our scary movie experience back there.

8:20 p.m. almost melted in our seat with the first sip of latte.

8:40 p.m. we should go back. maybe I grab another doughnut.

9 p.m. in the subway. we both too tired to speak. I want my bed.

9:30 p.m. wish I was in a car…

9:40 p.m. home sweet home. exhausted and full of experience! find my husband relaxing on the couch with a cup of tea after his gym and shower. Fresh faced, welcoming me and asking about my day.

10 p.m. try beaming all the time to avoid him think that I had not a very good time.

10:05 p.m. I hear a voice in distance but too sleepy to notice. I think it was the spirit of a "Qin chi huang " talking ancient Chinese to me.

*For more information visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terracotta_Army

1 comment: